[Wylug-discuss] Adding a wireless router to an existing network

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Mon Nov 1 17:02:20 GMT 2004

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004, Mischa Oliver Altmann wrote:

> correction to my previous post (verrrry sorry for that)!
>
> There exist three WLAN standards that are "Wi-Fi certified":
> IEEE 802.11a/b/g
>
> Name           Frequency    rate*
> ----------------------------------
> IEEE 802.11a   5 GHz        54 Mbps
> IEEE 802.11b   2.4 GHz      11 Mbps
> IEEE 802.11g   2.4 GHz      54 Mbps
>
> * note that (proprietry) extensions exist to double the basic rate (e.g. 22Mbps,
> 108Mbps)

Also note these are maximum rates. The standards allow e.g in 11b, reduced
rates of 5M, 2M and 1M (from memory) to cope with noisy environments and
for increased range. However as access to a wireless access point is
shared, if you have any connected clients at the lower speeds, then
everybodies performance is reduced to some extent - even those connected
at a full 11M.