[Wylug-discuss] Webmail recommendations.....

Jason Lander jason at env.leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 9 12:59:51 GMT 2004

Jim,

> I'm looking at webmail for a front end to imap mail for several hundred
> users. This is an area I am woefully ignorant of.

We provide a rather out of date version of Horde/IMP for users. The Horde
project which has the unusual distinction of being well-written PHP.

The gotcha is that webmail services can force an IMAP login for every
single refresh of the mailbox, so installing an IMAP caching proxy that
keeps the connections alive is a good idea.

The proxy one that Horde provide is unreliable for large messages and may
not be actively maintained. The one from http://www.imapproxy.org is
better.

- Jason