[Wylug-discuss] Darn 1AND1

Glenn Glidden glenn at gliddenservices.com
Tue Nov 16 12:21:59 GMT 2004

To add to the discussion re. 1&1, I am with them as well.

I had a similar payment problem with an expired Visa card.  What got me was
that they know when a card is about to expire, so why not send an email two
weeks before to remind you to update your details?

I also had a three week downtime on a transfer of my domain from a Linux to
Microsoft server, for which helpdesk support was next to useless.  Didn't
matter how much technical/diagnostic information I told them, just didn't
seem to have a clue.

Please note that there are different levels of support from 1&1, dependent
on what you purchase.  I didn't use the so called 'premium' support provided
with my domain, so got the bog-standard helpdesk service.  My mistake.  The
problem was quickly sorted when I used the premium support.  Note also that
this premium support was not a £1 a minute line, just dedicated to the
package type I bought.

In case your wondering why I switched to Microsoft, it was because I'm now a
.Net developer in my day job, and wanted to develop my own personal website
using ASP.Net and SQL Server provided by 1&1.  I must say though it would
have been easier buying my own dedicated server than using the offering
provided by 1&1.  I also wonder if it would have been easier using
Linux/perl/MySql that I had with my old domain, but that's a flame war for
another time!

I am currently working with Fedore Core3 at home, hence my membership of
this email list.

Thanks.

Glenn.
glenn at gliddenservices.com