[Wylug-discuss] Webtraffiker

Felix Ulrich-Oltean felix at chaptereight.com
Wed Nov 17 17:21:53 GMT 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 05:02:51PM +0000, Mark Ruddell wrote:
> Dear listees,
>
> I've been lurking here trying to understand what it's all about. I'm
> sorry to display my ignorance so. I had thought that Free Software was
> (amongst other things) about freeing the consumer from the systematic
> deceptions upon which all marketing relies. How can you guys even engage
> with this SEO crap?

As I understand it, you can legitimately employ all the metadata
features of html to give clients (browsers, search engines, visitors,
etc.) a better chance of understanding what your web site is about.
So 'proper' use of alt tags, heading tags, lists, paragraphs, and
arranging your content sensibly can surely only be a good thing.

I know our company offers SEO reports which basically outline ways of
better wording or structuring clients' web sites to ensure that users
of search engines have a better chance of finding the site _when it's
relevant_.  We make no promises to get people to the top of the pile,
and I think our clients basically want to be found when the user is
searching for something that the company provides.

Felix.