[Fwd: Re: [Wylug-discuss] DVD Compression]

Gavin Harris gavin at phiji.com
Thu Nov 18 11:26:06 GMT 2004

imran.javeed at ntlworld.com wrote:
> How do i make a backup of a DVD on linux by shrinking the size
> of the DVD, ive been using "readcd" and "prodvd(cdrecord)" to backup images <4.7GB
>
> But i dont know how to compress with larger DVD's
>
> Can anyone help?

(forgot to copy the list in)

lxdvdrip does a nice job of this.

It'll rip the feature only, then 'requant' the video so it's small
enough to fit on a dvdr. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but it
doesn't re-encode anything so it's very quick. 30 minutes or so to copy
on my system.

http://developer.berlios.de/projects/lxdvdrip/

Or, if you're lucky enough to be using Gentoo, 'emerge lxdvdrip'.

Cheers,

Gavin