[Wylug-discuss] Installed a PCI raid card, but not quite finished?

Nick Moulsdale nick at ebi.ndo.co.uk
Tue Oct 26 15:52:42 BST 2004

Quote /
cd /usr/src
mkdir ITERaid
pushd ITERaid
unzip /var/downloads/LinuxSrc_it8212_092007-05_26x.zip
perl -p -i -e 's/2\.6\.1/2.6.4/' Makefile
cp -a /usr/src/linux-2.6.4/drivers/scsi/{scsi,hosts,scsi_obsolete,scsi_typedefs}.h \
/usr/src/linux-2.6.4/drivers/scsi/scsi_module.c .
make
install -m 644 iteraid.ko /lib/modules/2.6.4/kernel/drivers/scsi/
depmod -a

Everyone is happy. This way you do not clobber the Makefile in /usr/src/linux-2.6.4/drivers/scsi.

Hopefully this helps someone out there.
End Quote/

I have used this great help to install my 2 x 200 Gb EIDE HD's as secondary Units. Boot is from 1 of 2 SCSI 69 GB disks. I have not carried out last 2 lines above as instructions with the linux drivers say

# cp -f iteraid.o /lib/modules/2.4.20-24.8/kernel/drivers/scsi
# chmod 755 /sbin/mkinitrd
# mkinitrd -f --preload scsi_mod --preload sd_mod --with=iteraid /boot/initrd-2.4.20-24.8.img 2.4.20-24.8

1st 2 carried out OK and then cd'd to /usr/src/ITERaid, but last one fails will not allow writing to img file.

I thought your last 2 lines might substitute, but I do not understand iteraid.ko. I don't think I have this file?.

I have RH8, have downloaded the source files and modified them to match my Linux version. Then I compiled them, did modprobe sr_mod and modprobe sd_mod. insmod iteraid.o worked OK and dmesg gave the correct mesg. I've fdisked the 2 disks and created ext3 filesystems on them and I can read and write to/from them. But I do not want to have to remember to do this stuff again on a reboot.

I've editted /etc/fstab, but I cannot make my mind up if the numbers should read

defaults 1 1 or 2 2 or 0 0. I think it should be 2 2?

So what do I do to ensure everything comes up rosie on reboot, please?

Thanks for any help.

N.G. Moulsdale FCA
Group Finance Director
Ebi Manufacturing Co Ltd