[Wylug-discuss] Adding a wireless router to an existing network

Mischa Oliver Altmann een2moa at leeds.ac.uk
Sun Oct 31 01:43:44 BST 2004

Hi Martin,

> I need to extend my home network, but can't easily use cable. I've had a
[snip]
> From my limited understanding of wi-fi, what I need is a wireless access
> point, plus a wireless card for the laptop.
correct -- connect the access point to the existing network with an ethernet
cable (generally CAT5) and install the wireless card(s) in the
laptop/computers.

> Will the 9106 work in this
> capacity or can someone recommend a better alternative. I like the fact
The USR 9106 is only a router and  WiFi access point (AP) so you'll need to buy
one (or more) compatible wireless cards (unless you buy it as a bundle). Also,
the USR 9106 sports compatability with both the b and g standard (operating at
2.4GHz and 5GHz respectively) which *might* be an overkill as 'b' is enough for
home networking in my opinion.
  I have a couple of never used D-Link 802.11b products lying about: DWL-500
(11Mbps PCMCIA card + PCI adapter) and DWL 120 (11Mbps USB) mostly. I'll
happily give you two or three of either (make me an offer). Please check
whether they run well on Linux (they should, as I think they have the prism
chipset thought I dont necessarily recommend using the USB version) and are
compatible with whatever AP you will go with (b or g standard).

Mischa

--
Mischa Oliver Altmann
Student Representative of Level 3, Elec.Engineering

personal website: http://www.altmann.at/~mischa (in a terrible state)

A: 8 Beechwood Avenue
   LS4 2NA, Leeds, UK
E: een2moa at leeds.ac.uk