[Wylug-discuss] best sig ever

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Fri Sep 3 12:28:21 BST 2004

--
On Fri, 2004-09-03 at 11:06, John Hodrien wrote:
[...]

> > Graphics seem to stuff up my laserjet too. It's an old-ish 2100, but
> > it's had the RAM beefed up to 20MB. If I throw a file at it that
> > contains even a few little low-res images, it takes ages to print. I'm
> > quite sure that wouldn't be the case on windows.
>
> 2100M with slightly more ram suffers the same problem.  Suffers far less if I
> send it PCL rather than PS.

It doesn't do PS.

I don't quite know why it's taking so long. I have little shell script
that scans an image an blats it straight to the printer, for one-off
photocopies. It's along the lines of 'scanimage ... | lpr'. That prints
almost immediately. How come when I try to print a few crummy little
GIFs and a couple of lines of text it chokes for about 5 minutes?

> > The printer isn't *that* ancient. For example, I've been looking at
> > houses to move to (we've outgrown ours) and if I print a web page with
> > maybe 6 or 7 300x200 (ish) pixel images and some text, which results in
> > maybe three pages of output, it takes about 5 minutes to process it.
> >
> > ANyone any ideas?
>
> PCL would be my only suggestion I'm afraid.
>
> jh
>
> --
> "A man ceases to be a beginner in any given science and becomes a master in
>   that science when he has learned that he is going to be a beginner all his
>   life."                                              -- R G Collingwood

James Andrew Holden, Leeds, UK    (james at jamesholden dot net)
GPG Key: 1024D/8358863A    *Please encrypt mail where possible!*
Fingerprint:  32C9 A76F 3CFE A06C 1B00  5AAB 9877 4742 8358 863A
jamesholden.net ICQ: 11290827 >Buy Linux CDs from fastdiscs.com<