[Wylug-discuss] On-board Serial Ports

Jim Jackson jj at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Sep 23 16:05:34 BST 2004

Hi Martin,

I've played with serial ports, and don't have instability problems.
I find it pays to make sure they are correctly setup using setserial
at boot time. Then there is no problem. You really need to get the kernel
set to the correct "uart" type. Maybe the autoconfig bit isn't working.

Also make sure nothing else has the IRQ. With modern motherboards and PCI
IRQ conflicts can happen if you haven't got the BIOS set right. Check for
interrupt count increasing in /proc/interrupts when you are not using the
serial ports at all.

Jim