[Wylug-discuss] Rating Ubuntu for bleeding edge development

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Thu Apr 14 07:54:22 BST 2005

John Hodrien writes:

> On Wed, 13 Apr 2005, Dave Fisher wrote:
>
> >   * No lock-in - If Canonical ever backslid on their promises, or
> >     the community folded, you could trivially fallback to half a
> >     dozen decent Debian-based distros with no loss of features,
> >     usability or even personal configs.
>
> The warnings about packages becoming Debian incompatible due to
> Ubuntu's popularity are overrated you feel?

Ian Murdock's complaint is that Ubuntu has diverged too far from Debian
Testing; he implies that he believes as time goes on the gap will only
widen.

But, so far as I can tell, Ubuntu is a cleaned-up version of Debian
Unstable (not Testing) and it isn't in Ubuntu's interests to diverge far
from Unstable, because every half-year they have to sync with it again
for their next release.

So I suspect that the actual 'problem' is incompatibilities between
Unstable and Testing, something that's under Debian's control and would
likely be improved if they made releases more often.

Smylers