[Wylug-discuss] Semi-OT - Extending the LAN

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 15:36:58 BST 2005

On Wednesday 10 Aug 2005 14:13, Jim Jackson wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Aug 2005, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Not really a linux question, but one that has to be sorted before I
> > can get my new laptop set up with linux and Internet access.
> >
> > You may remember that I asked for suggestions for extending the LAN
> > where additional cabling was not an option.  Of all the suggestions I
> > received I decided that the best option was to add an additional
> > router/WAP.  The
> >
> > proposed addition would look like this:
> >      |  ADSL line
> >
> >     ___
> >
> >     | |   Router/WAP (D-Link)
> >
> >     ---
> >
> >     |\ \
> >     | \ \
> >     |  \ \ Other workstations
> >
> >     ___
> >
> >     | |   Second router/WAP (Acer)
> >
> >     ---
>
> Anne, make this just an ethernet switch and there is zilch configuration
> to do - jusr plug it all together. You can buy 5 port 10/100 Ethernet
> switches very cheaply.

Perhaps I would have been better to do this from the start - maybe I was
badly advised.  For a start, it doesn't look as though I can just ignore
the WAN page, even though I'm not going to use it.

> You then only have one Wireless access point to configure.
>
> Do you actually need a second WAP to get wireless coverage?

Yes.  The D-Link router is in the room where the ADSL line comes in - and
it would be hard to move it.  Between it and me there are two walls around
30" thick and two more internal walls.  The signal is totally gone by the
time you get here.  It's there, but extremely weak in the room upstairs,
which is one wall less from the router.  I could settle for a switch and
cable the laptop to the switch, I suppose, but it would have been nice to
have the freedom to move around, so perhaps I should look for a switch
with WAP?.

Anne