[Wylug-discuss] Linspire

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Aug 15 09:14:14 BST 2005

On Sunday 14 Aug 2005 22:41, Smylers wrote:

> I've never used it, but I don't think it's suitable for anybody
> interested in Linux.  It sounds more like a Windows-alternative OS which
> just happens to have Linux underneath.  For example, it's single-user
> (and that user is root), which is no more dangerous than, say Windows
> 98, and it does make sense that if you just want a really cheap PC from
> Wal-Mart that you could use Linspire instead of Windows.

I installed it once, just to take a look at it.  It's true that a simple
install gives you complete root access, but it is configurable to the
traditional linux pattern.  I would say that it could be very good for a
person who wants to be out from windows but not in too exposed territory,
but with the proviso that someone who knows what they are doing installs
and sets it up for them.

Anne