[Wylug-discuss] Semi-OT - Extending the LAN

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Thu Aug 18 15:00:49 BST 2005

On Monday 15 Aug 2005 12:56, Jim Jackson wrote:

> Or more easily run tcpdump in promiscuous mode as root on a
> box on the network and look for and traffic on a network other than
> your normal one.

I tried that - but remember I have not used tcpdump before.  I saw lots of
traffic on the LAN and some to my ISP, but nothing else.
*********
I got the router back from Acer and tried setting it up again.  I don't
know whether it is unfamiliarity with XP or whether this router is the
most user-unfriendly piece of kit I've ever seen.

I ran through all the settings screens - all of them this time - before
setting the IP address of the router to 192.168.0.5 and putting the
laptop's IP back to 192.168.0.91.  All had appeared well until then.
After a reboot I could not get the setup screens - back to square one.

After lots of experiments I suddenly found that on the Network Places
screen I had an icon for NAT Gateway - and sure enough that got me back to
the configuration screens.  Some screens did not seem to have been saved,
so I set them up again.

Cabled LAN -

I can ping to and from the laptop, but Network places does not see this box
(ping does), although another linux box is there.  I can connect to the
Internet.

Wireless network

Pretty much the same as cabled.  It can see several boxes, but not this
one.  Ping works here as well.  Internet connection works.

The NAT Gateway icon has disappeared and once more I cannot connect to the
configuration screens.

Anne