[Wylug-discuss] linux laptop

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 09:47:36 GMT 2005

I have 6 Sony Vaio laptops in the company, although only mine has Linux.

I can say that you get what you pay for.  One of the laptops had a problem
withe fascia comping off.  Sony organized the shipment both ways (to France I
think) and it was back fixed within 10 days.

As for Linux, FC3 and FC4 went on no probs. Sound didn't work with FC3 but
does now. Wifi works with FC4, using NDISWrappers and a WinXP Althos based
driver. (I can't get it to work from bootup, and had trouble with HEX based
WEP keys but it works fine with ASCII ones)

The touchpad works fine and the keyboard is on par with other laptops, but I
do tend to use a USB cordless Genius keyboard/mouse when I'm tn the office.
This was auto-detected and just works.

The screen on mine is very easy to work with. The contrast/clarity is as good
as I've seen on a laptop and it handles 1280x1024 with no problems.

As mine has a large screen battery life isn't brillient, but you can get a
program called sonypi which is supposed to allow you to change things like
screen brightness. A laptop with a smaller screen would probably do better.

Also, mine spends 90% of it's time on mains which won't help battery life
much.