[Wylug-discuss] Linux Laptops

Dan Walker danielwalker at fastmail.fm
Fri Dec 16 10:07:58 GMT 2005

I second that; I've a Toshiba Tecra A2 and all the devices were auto-detected
on Breezy except the winmodem (which seems to be a secondary function of the
soundcard). I've even had that working enough to send a test fax (slmodem or
something), but it disabled the soundcard, probably because the modem is
detected as a soundcard and ALSA was defaulting to it. I never was bothered
enough to sort it out, but I'm sure it's possible.

My boss uses a Toshiba Portégé and that's all working too, although IIRC he
had some issues getting 3D acceleration going.

The screen on my Tecra is perfectly usable, although not great.

Dan

On Friday 16 Dec 2005 08:04, Rob Hall wrote:
> I have never had any bother with Toshiba Laptops. I have used Fedora and
> Suse (my current distro choice) with no bother whatsoever. Even power
> management seems to work and they seem to be reasonable value for money.
> I am currently running Suse 10 on an oldish Satellite Pro but I have
> also installed it on an L20 and an Equium without it batting an eyelid
> about any drivers. They run fantastically and I am a happy bunny.
>
> Rob

Ninjas are more scared of you than
you are of them.