[Wylug-discuss] linux laptop - RESUME

Mischa Oliver Altmann een2moa at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Dec 20 18:27:09 GMT 2005

Dear Wyluggers,

WARNING: this has become a bit of a beast of an email... skip the specs
you'll read much less but still get the general picture.

> So what is out there in terms of Linux "compatible" laptops at the
> moment?

Well it seems there are more than one thinks and with a little tinkering
most latops from reputable manufacturers are "linuxable".

> broadly speaking what i need is a desktop replacement though my
> power-needs are not exorbitant, what I value most is:
> - clear, high resolution screen (yes, generally expensive -- ouch!)

I now feel that a 15" running at SXGA (1280 x 1024) and above is what
I really want. That means that the following info isn't necessarily
suitable for everyone.

> - decent battery life (3 hours -- difficult with Linux?)

yes, it seems quite possible. Though of course it is difficult to define
"standard useage". For basic word processing, admin tasks, etc 4 hours
seem achievable.

> - light&small enough to fit into a backpack but large enough to be
>   used comfortably for longer hours.

Anything with ca. 15" screen is of similiar size. Generally the screen
size dictates the overall size. Weight however varies considerably --
sometimes it seems at the expense of durability (unless you pay for
some space-tech-material ;-)

Choices/Recommendations

- Acer -- http://www.acer.co.uk
  wide range, well established, good value
  preferred models:
  - TravelMate 4650 line, starting at ~700 GBP, sample spec:
    Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz or higher, 512MB (2GB max) DDR2 RAM,
    SXGA+ (1400x1050) display, nVidia GF Go 6600 (64MB) graphics
    80GB HDD, DVD RW (double layer)
    Gigabit Ethernet, b/g WLAN (Intel), Bluetooth, FireWire, 56k modem
    DVI, S-Video, 6in1 card reader
  - TravelMate 8100 line (top range), starting ~ 900 GBP, sample spec:
    Intel Pentium M 1.73GHz or higher, 512MB (2GB max) DDR2 RAM,
    WSXGA+ (1680x1050) display, ATI mobility X700 (128MB) graphics
    80GB HDD, DVD RW (double layer)
    Gigabit Ethernet, a/b/g WLAN (Intel), Bluetooth, FireWire, 56k modem
    DVI, S-Video, 6in1 card reader, smartcard reader

- IBM/Lenovo Thinkpad -- http://www.pc.ibm.com/europe/think/en/?uk
  well established, good linx community
  preferred model(s):
  - ThinkPad T42 or T43 series, ~1500+ GBP, sample spec
    Intel Pentium M 2GHz, 512MB (2GB max) DDR2 RAM
    SXGA+ (1400x1050) display, ATI Mobility RADEON x300 graphics
    80GB HDD, DVD RW,
    Gigabit Ethernet, b/g WLAN (intel), Bluetooth, 56k modem
    DVI, s-video, fingerprint reader (!?!)
  - ThinkPad R52 (1846AQG), ~1000 GBP
    similar to T43 in terms of spec but significantly cheaper due to
    slower CPU (1.86GHz) and noisier operation. also, it offers no
    bluetooth, but includes FireWire (which i couldnt find for T42/43!)
  - ThinkPad Z60 series, e.g. 1200 GBP for 1.86GHz
    again similar to above but somtimes w/ integrated graphics card
    (increased battery life?), S-ATA HDD(!). looks like very good value.
  note on IBM: most impressed by available display resolution. I
  think there is no other manufacturer that produces e.g. 1600x1200
  laptop screens.

- Toshiba -- http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/
  offer both good value lines and high end lines, recommended by several
  Wyluggers (mostly tested w/ SUSE)
  preferred model(s):
  - Satellite & Satellite Pro series for value but both lines lack
    higher resolution screens
  - the other lines equally lack either screen size or resolution
  so in general Toshiba offer nice equipment but unfortunately they dont
  seem to fit my purpose.

- Sony
  avoided on moral/ethical grounds though they produce some very good
  (and expensive) laptops.

> Also -- I am *not* disinclined to take an Apple -- any ideas?

- Apple -- www.apple.co.uk/
  linux based/related operating system, tuned hard/software, price
  premium,
  preferred model(s):
  - PowerBook 15", starting ~ 1400 GBP (less for students/HE)
    PowerPC G4 1.67GHz, 512MB (2GB max) DDR2 RAM
    15.2" screen @ 1440x960, ATI mobility 9700 (128MB),
    80GB HDD, DVD RW double layer
    gigabit ethernet, FireWire 400/800, b/g WLAN, bluetooth, modem
    DVI, s-video

Useful websites:
- http://tuxmobil.org/
  a directroy of (un)successful linux installations on laptops with
  contacts & howtos
- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HardwareSupportMachinesLaptops
- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam
  note: other distros might/probably have similar resources
- http://www.windowsrefund.org/
  *tries* to do what it says on the tin as you are often paying a
  premium for an OS you might not want...

> browsing around brings up a couple of pre-configured linux laptops:
> - http://www.linuxcertified.com/linux_laptops.html
> - http://www.emperorlinux.com/

it's surprisingly difficult to get linux preinstalled (if you want that)
but equally difficult to get a laptop with no OS.

hope this is a useful resource. I now know that i spent way too much
time on comparing specs. this day most laptops will deal with everyday
tasks very adequately. The difference are linuxability, battery life
(difficult to determine), and possibly "futureproofness"

Now that i have enriched the English language with a few more words,
I'll go out and buy the first laptop i find! Enough time spent on the
theory... Is it going to be the Apple or Acer Pear?

  Mischa

P.S.: I should really find myself a blogging space for the likes of
above.

--
Mischa Oliver Altmann
ABCIT Level 5, Elec.Engineering