[Wylug-discuss] Mandrake and WinXP

Martyn Ranyard martyn at syn.co.uk
Mon Jan 10 23:25:54 GMT 2005

Dave Fisher wrote:
<snip loads of really good stuff>

>Even if my knowledge is outdated, I'd say that using Grub on the MBR is
>by far the most flexible and easily managed solution.  On the other
>hand, LILO is probably the easiest to configure for the first time.

One point is that with grub, the config is on the data partition you
supply, rather than in the MBR (a la lilo), so there's no need to
reinstall grub for additional kernels.

>Both of them are much more capable and managable than the Windows
>bootloader.

And here I also agree, I cannot think of a good reason to use the ugly
'doze bootloader over grub or for that matter lilo as the primary boot
loader - you can even specify 'doze as the first choice and a quick
timeout if you have non-linux users switching your machines on.

--
Martyn Ranyard