[Wylug-discuss] Linux on laptop

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Thu Jan 20 20:08:14 GMT 2005

On Thursday 20 January 2005 4:35 pm, Peter Holtwick wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am about to buy a laptop and plan to use only Linux on it! I
> experienced a lot of hassle with the support of components and
> features by Linux, so does anyone give me an advice which brand which
> laptop goes best? Maybe someone has got already really good
> experience with a specific model!?
>
> Because it will be my only and main computer, I am looking for a good
> and usable model, eg. big screen, touchpad, at least 512MB RAM etc.,
> at of course an affordable price:-)
>
> If you have a tip for a good Linux supported model please let me
> know!
>
> Greets,
> Peter

Personally I'm a fan of Sony Viao's. Although there's only mine with
Linux on we do have 5 at work and I'm imporessed with the build quality
and specs.  Obviously you get what you pay for  as far as the spec's
concerned.

The three problems I have are ACPI (warning messages on booting, but
appears to work okay), sound not working with KDE, and the internal
modem's not supported directly (appears that the drivers are now
payware and I've not really looked into that yet).

Many of these problems could be related to the laptop not being very
old, but running FC1.  I'm looking to upgrade to FC3 soon and hope that
that will fix these problems.
--
Gary Stainburn