Re: [Wylug-discuss] Which process is accessing the hard drive?

Borph at gmx.de Borph at gmx.de
Wed Jul 6 11:07:05 BST 2005

Am 06.07.2005, 10:42 Uhr, schrieb David Holden <dh at iucr.org>:
>   lsof

I think this is listing the open files, but you don't know wether there is
'activity' or not.
I found out myself that the kernel flush daemon writes the dirty cache to
disc every 5 seconds, sounds pretty much like this! Also: there is a
/proc/sys/vm/laptop_mode, but this doesn't seem to work on mine.

I will mess around with the flush times. Apparently Linux doesn't seem to be
very suitably for laptops out of the box - it commits every 5 seconds, but
it writes then only data which is dirty for more then 30 seconds, not all
dirty data.

Thanks so long anyway!
Peter