[Wylug-discuss] OU's Microsoft policy

mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk mikeb at gbdirect.co.uk
Mon Jul 18 21:07:44 BST 2005

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 08:50:54PM +0100, Roger Leigh wrote:

> I'm (IMO!) a fairly skilled, self-taught C programmer, with 6 years of
> experience, spending several tens of hours a week writing code for a
> wide variety of free software projects, including printer drivers and
> more general stuff, such as being a Debian maintainer.  I have used
> (and written) stuff like C and C++ database bindings, used a lot of
> GTK+, and was looking for something to extend my knowledge, and
> introduce me to new and useful skills to complement my existing
> skillset.  However, it was painfully clear that the OU courses were
> nothing but thinly-disguised training courses for Microsoft systems,
> not genuine CS degrees.

If you want to make a difference, document in about 300-400 words why this matters,
making sure that the facts you refer to are provable and not a rant.

Submit it to John Lettice at The Register (john.lettice at theregister.co.uk) and there
is a good chance that he may publish it.

The OU will be deeply embarrassed if that gets into print. But you had better be accurate
in your criticisms.

Mike
--
Mike Banahan - http://www.gbdirect.co.uk - Tel 0870 200 7273, Mobile 07970 942590