[Wylug-discuss] OU's Microsoft policy

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Jul 18 22:57:56 BST 2005

On Mon, 2005-07-18 at 17:16 +0100, geoff fielding wrote:
> I am intending to make a complaint to the OU regarding its computer
> policy which is 'All University course software is tested on computers
> running Microsoft Windows as the cost of supporting other operating
> systems i.e. Mac computers, is prohibitive.

OK, so it's probably a CBT application written for Windows.

They don't want to develop versions for Mac etc in parallel.

Of course, it's quite possible to write cross-platform applications that
work very well indeed.

> Helpdesk advisers will be unable to offer assistance to you, or offer
> guidance as to whether you will be able to take a course using this
> non-standard configuration of hardware and software.'

Fair enough. They have to draw the line somewhere. These are
script-driven helpdeskers most likely. Supporting computing platforms is
expensive.

> My complaint covers the policy itself, the dismissive, almost
> non-existent, information in the OU websites and literature regarding
> other platforms, and the lack of specific course information about
> computing requirements which makes it impossible to detect whether they
> may be capable of being fulfilled without a Windows machine.

Fair point. It could be like one of those 'Requires Internet Explorer'
websites that works perfectly well in any other browser.

I'm quite certain that esure.com would have worked in Firefox, but they
sniffed my UA string and I couldn't get through the door. Talk about a
way to lose business.

> Specifically I was wanting to apply for the T175 Networked Living:
> Exploring Information and Communication Technologies, which is an
> introductory course for many different degree courses. However Matt, a
> Linux user on the computing helpdesk tells me "You would be unable to
> run the T175 cd-rom in Linux unless you were to use wine even then I
> wouldn't have much faith in it running correctly."

Often these things are some sort of compiled Macromedia Shockwave type
application. Like a .swf in an .exe wrapper, so I've no idea what would
happen.

> I am a relevant innocent in the computing field but am very unhappy at
> the OU stance. I am sure other Universities etc must provide computing
> resources without enforcing the Microsoft monopoly.

I think it's more a case of outsourcing their CBT material production to
a Visual Basic shop.

> I would welcome any information, comments, suggestions etc to enable me
> to make a forceful complaint that cannot be simply dismissed, which I
> fear would be the outcome with my own limited knowledge.

Well, their policy is short-sighted and probably a result of ignorance
more than anything.

Given that they'll want to eke every penny out of their course material
production costs, I would suspect they're not likely to budge.

<tinfoilhat>
Of course, MS could well have made a gift of lots of MS software or
given very preferential licensing terms.
</tinfoilhat>

James