[Wylug-discuss] uk wireless hijacker found guilty (fwd)

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Mon Jul 25 14:05:51 BST 2005

Indeed. I spotted this on the reg this morning.

Does anyone have any more details though? Did he break the encryption or
was no encryption used?

I'd like to know what case was presented because at the moment I fail to
see any criminal element to what he did. I've certainly done the same in
an emergency, but also I've done it accidentally when I've been on-site
at a client and used a neightbouring companys wireless LAN because of a
meaningless/ambiguous SSID. How would I be treated if the other company
decided to report me?

The way I see it, is that using someone elses wireless access when they
fail to enable the encryption is like being charged with theft for using
water that runs onto the street because somebody didn't turn their
outside tap off. Other analogies involving entering through unlocked
doors don't hold up really.

The story on silicon.com also highlights the case in the US of the guy
who sniffed CC numbers from a wireless LAN in a shop. I wonder what
would happen here with our data protection laws.

James