[Wylug-discuss] Read past EOD/EOF on Tape

Nick Moulsdale nick at ebi.ndo.co.uk
Thu Jun 2 09:10:57 BST 2005

I quote this from another List

==============================

Hello...

I have the following problem... I have a 200 GB LTO2 Tape, which once was used for a full backup and was written full (200 GB). Some days later it was overwritten with a incremental backup. This one had only
3 GB.

Now I urgently need the files of the full backup! I think the remaining 197 GB of the tape have not been overwritten and should be still readable! But readarkeia stops after 3 GB because it discovers an end-of-tape marker.

How can I read the remaining tape? Please help if you know the answer.
The data is very important...

many thanks,
Peter

=============================

Forget the specifics of Arkeia, I believe there must be a way to read this 197 GB using dd or something similar?

Anyone got any really bright ideas? I know whenever I want the impossible done, under Linux its possible.

Thanks

Nick

N.G. Moulsdale FCA
Group Finance Director