[Wylug-discuss] Help: Filesystem crashed

Borph at gmx.de Borph at gmx.de
Thu Jun 9 19:23:38 BST 2005

Somebody knows how I could get back some data?

I have a USB-stick to store my emails on, but this is not working anymore.
It has normal FAT and worked perfektly to transport the emails from work
(Windows) home (Linux).

First Opera crashed, so I did a fsck.msdos. That detected quite a few errors
like double used blocks:-(
After a lot of work fixing the corrupted mail files I thought the problem is
gone and was just because of the crash, but on the next day nothing works at
all.

I discovered the first failure in messages:
kernel: attempt to access beyond end of device
kernel: sda1: rw=0, want=260849, limit=255967
kernel: Buffer I/O error on device sda1, logical block 260848
and:
kernel: FAT: Filesystem panic (dev sda1)
kernel:     fat_bmap_cluster: request beyond EOF (i_pos 10249)
many many times

now its just while plugging:
kernel:  sda: unknown partition table

My hope is that the data itself is quite ok (a fsck was successfull after
fixing) and there is a chance to get my mails back!

How can I fix the FS without making it worse? Any ideas?? Its still a
miracle why it got broken anyway, but interestingly it was at the same time
as there was a problem with the wireless LAN driver!

Many thanks,
Peter

--
Geschenkt: 3 Monate GMX ProMail gratis + 3 Ausgaben stern gratis
++ Jetzt anmelden & testen ++ http://www.gmx.net/de/go/promail ++