[Wylug-discuss] Free Native Windows Archiver handling tar.gz

Phil Foxton phil at thefoxtons.org.uk
Tue Jun 21 15:54:47 BST 2005

---------- Original Message -----------
From: Dave Fisher <davef at gbdirect.co.uk>
To: WYLUG <wylug-discuss at wylug.org.uk>
Sent: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 15:30:16 +0100
Subject: Re: [Wylug-discuss] Free Native Windows Archiver handling tar.gz

> On Tue, Jun 21, 2005 at 03:30:33PM +0000, Phil Foxton wrote:
> > http://www.filzip.com/en/index.html - is this the kind of thing you are
> > looking for?
>
> Thanks.
>
> The EULA looks OKish, but it's still a EULA and I don't have time to
> go through it with a fine tooth comb.

Fair point, I tend to towards using freezip on windows, but that can't handle
.tar or .gz AFAIK

> > Either that or a search on freshmeat.net or sourceforge.net?
>
> I took a glance a both, but experience has taught me to prefer personal
> recommendations to cursory glances through the big lists on sites
> like those.

I have had a look at the other unix tools I linked earlier and they seem to do
the job, apart from the strange path (C: is /cygdrive/c and then you have the
rest of the tree off that, but otherwise it does everything you can on a *nix
box (that the supplied bins allow you to do of which tar and gzip are included!)

And AFAICS it's GPL, or if not it's certainly freeware (or FREEWARE as the
author is at pains to point out on his website, why the shouting I don't know!)

Phil