[Wylug-discuss] Linux on Intel 64-Bit Xeon

Jason Lander jason at env.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jun 23 12:48:30 BST 2005

Dave,

> I need a cheap but pretty fast web/mail/database/application server. The
> Dell Poweredge 1850 looks superficially like it will do the trick.
>
>    http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/productdetails.aspx/pedge_1850?c=uk&cs=ukbsdt1&l=en&s=bsd

I'm sure others will correct me if I'm wrong...

>    1. Which Intel 64-bit architecture is a 'Dual 64-Bit Xeon'?

I think this is the `EMT' - the 32-bit chip with 64-bit bells and
whistles.

It is their `anything AMD can do, we can quickly emulate if it looks like
a good idea' model.

>    2. Does the label '64-Bit Xeon' apply to both, and if so, how do you
>    tell the difference?

I think Xeon == 32 bit. The purely 64-bit one is the Itanium.

>    3. What is the state of kernel and distro support for either
>    architecture?
>
>    4. Assuming that there is fairly good distro support for the kit on
>    offer (Dell suggest RH/SuSE), is the CPU performance reasonable for
>    the price?

Not sure about the 1850 but there is a dual Xeon Dell Poweredge *1800*
here running Debian sarge. The Debian kernel is 2.6.8-10-em64t-p4-smp.

- Jason