[Wylug-discuss] MS cheating the system

Dan Walker danielwalker at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 14 13:02:17 GMT 2005

Anne Wilson wrote:
> --
> On Monday 14 Mar 2005 11:29, John Hodrien wrote:
>
>>I think you have to look at most current IT teaching as akin to woodwork.
>
> Hmm, yes.  Teach them to only use Stanley tools, and you'll be OK ;-)
>
>>But to be honest if you're going to teach it in that way, I think you'd be
>>better off teaching them to touch type.
>
> Now there's a useful skill - helps to avoid RSI, too. ;-)

But that's endemic to at least the 'practical' subjects. For example,
when I was doing my GCSEs, admittedly approximately a decade ago, we
learned how to tie-dye a t-shirt, and make a quilted cushion, but we
never learned how to sew on a button. Guess which of those three skills
I've had more call for since...

Dan