[Wylug-discuss] Q1: RAID capable network file servers and Linux

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Tue May 17 17:46:14 BST 2005

On Mon, 16 May 2005, Steven Dodd wrote:

> As John said, the RAID (re)building should be all done in hardware and the
> OS will be blissfully unaware.  The only thing to make sure of, though, is
> that you can run the RAID card's management utility on the flavour of Linux
> you choose.  For example, Adaptec's Storage Manager is available only for
> certain RedHat and Suse versions.  Otherwise, you might have to reboot the
> system to get into the card's BIOS to trigger the rebuild.

Using an Adaptec card on an unsupported 2.6 Linux the commandline tools worked
fine for me, so I don't know how pernickity the tools really are.

jh

--
"I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather, than screaming in
  terror like his passengers."                        -- Bob Monkhouse (?)