[Wylug-discuss] Shared Co-location Server

Dave Fisher davef at gbdirect.co.uk
Mon May 23 15:02:35 BST 2005

Hi All,

For several years I've been running a range of non-commercial sites and
services off a SOHo ADSL account, but it's become a bit of a hassle
(e.g. no reverse DNS, and trouble getting my mail accepted at some
sites).

I've thought about external hosting, but restrictions on scripting and
the like are causing me to lean towards Co-location.

I'm now in a bit of a hurry, but before I decide which way to go, I
thought I'd float an idea to see if anyone else might be interested in
sharing the costs and benefits involved.

The idea I've been toying with is that of sharing a co-lo box based in
west yorkshire using the Xen virtual machine monitor
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/index.html

It occurred to me that there may be others in Wylug who were also
interested in getting an ultra-cheap, but full-featured hosting
solution.

Basically, the idea would be to share the cost of the bandith in
proportion to usage, leaving individuals to manage their own
virtual machine as they saw fit.

Anyone just a little bit tempted?

Dave