[Wylug-discuss] motherboard for embedded application

Mischa Oliver Altmann een2moa at leeds.ac.uk
Tue Nov 8 14:58:38 GMT 2005

Hi,

I'm developing a rail tunnel disaster robot(?) -- or a working prototype
thereof.

I am looking for a suitable motherboard for the robot itself.

Processing requirements are small (mostly relaying sensor data but
optionally also a webcam/video stream and a basic (half-duplex?) audio
stream.
 - sensor data will most likely come from I2C sensors. Either connected
   to an onboad I2C bus or via serial to an external microcontroller.
 - optional webcam is imagined to be connected via USB.
 - a large CF/MMC/... drive should suffice for temporary data storage.
 - communications to the outside world will rely mostly on a customised
   2.4GHz WiFi link with external antennae.
 - A basic 12V car battery will have to do as power source for the moment.
   Power requirements shouldn't be a key problem as the motor and
   lighting required are expected to dwarf anz comms equipment consumption.

Some people have recommended the VIA EPIA range[1] but they almost look
like an overkill. An e.g ARM board would probably work too, but I've had
some rather bad experiences. We'd prefer an x86 compatible architecture
for ease of code development but are open to abusing other platforms.

regards,
  Mischa

[1] http://www.icp-epia.co.uk/site/products.php?sid=1

--