[Wylug-discuss] XML data storage & GUI design

Mischa Oliver Altmann een2moa at leeds.ac.uk
Mon Nov 21 16:29:01 GMT 2005

Good morning

thanks for the plentiful food for thought regarding embedded boards. I'm
still writing up a summary to post and haven't yet decided on a platform.

I plan to store aquired data (e.g. sensors) in an XML file. I have long
looked for an oppertunity to work with XML but lack just about all
experience. Is anyone working with XML? Pointers to good resources (incl.
books) would be appreciated.

Further more, I would like to create a (fairly basic?) GUI showing sensor
data (with history) and possibly video from the webcam(s) together with
control buttons for movement of robot and configuration of extra hardware
(lights, etc.).
This GUI feeds off the XML data which is received via a WiFi-link from the
robot.

I've received several suggestions starting from Python/Tk and Python/GTK+
to MinGW and QT based ideas. Multiplatform isn't necessary but would be
ideal. <drifting> put it all on a live-cd... </drifting>
Can someone patch together some arguments for any one combination?

thanks,
  Mischa

PS: i'm just looking though "Python How to Program - Introducing XML"
Prentice Hall (c)2002. Has anyone read it?

--
Mischa Oliver Altmann
ABCIT Level 5, Elec.Engineering

personal website: http://www.altmann.at/~mischa (in terrible state)