[Wylug-discuss] XML data storage & GUI design

Will Newton will at misconception.org.uk
Tue Nov 22 18:20:08 GMT 2005

On Monday 21 November 2005 16:23, Mischa Oliver Altmann wrote:

> I plan to store aquired data (e.g. sensors) in an XML file. I have long
> looked for an oppertunity to work with XML but lack just about all
> experience. Is anyone working with XML? Pointers to good resources (incl.
> books) would be appreciated.

I'm not sure time series data is that suited to the XML format. Not that it
can't do it, but the strengths of XML are in structured tree-like data with
named fields. It may be simpler, easier and more CPU and disk space efficient
to use e.g. line-based textual format e.g.:

XML:

<readings>
  <reading>
    <time>1047638</time>
    <temperature>10.2</temperature>
    <humidity>64.2</humidity>
  </reading>
</readings>

ASCII:

1047638 10.2 64.2

> I've received several suggestions starting from Python/Tk and Python/GTK+
> to MinGW and QT based ideas. Multiplatform isn't necessary but would be
> ideal. <drifting> put it all on a live-cd... </drifting>
> Can someone patch together some arguments for any one combination?

I can recommend PyGTK. It's well documented and widely used. The online
tutorial is pretty good as I remember.