[Wylug-discuss] Re: Linux-friendly POTS-to-VOIP-to-POTS

Peter borph at gmx.de
Thu Oct 13 16:35:10 BST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 13. Oktober 2005 12:42 schrieb John Hodrien:
> I'm quite happy for BT to be the Transco of the telco world (quite...), but
> that doesn't mean I want to send my phone calls their way.  But as I
> understand it (and I could be wrong) I can't sign up to their low user type
> tariff and route my calls via an alternative carrier.  I don't see why
> there isn't a wires only price and a phone price.

You can here (in Germany). It's pretty much the same: The Telekom used to have
the monopoly like the BT in UK. Now, you can choose:
- Move completely to another provider. He will rent the line from Telekom.
- Have the account at Telekom, but use another carrier by pre-dialing a number
like 010xy. This works call by call! So for every destination, you can choose
the cheapest carrier.

I love it, prices dropped dramatically in Germany since then! The cheapest
numbers are in every newspaper or on webpages (like www.teltarif.de).

BTW: I got the impression that ADSL isn't very common in UK, people are using
cable modems instead. Is ADSL kind of upcomming now?

Peter

P.S.: Why do i get "wylug-announce" when I just hit "reply"?