[Wylug-discuss] Re: Linux-friendly POTS-to-VOIP-to-POTS

gARetH baBB hick.wylug at gink.org
Thu Oct 13 17:17:57 BST 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, John Hodrien wrote:

> My sister was rejected for BT's low usage scheme because she owned
> a mobile phone (annoying through BT at the time).  I don't really have a

LUS is specifically a tariff for socially disadvantaged users, it *is* not
a tariff for people with the money anyway to get a cheap line.

LUS rates do not cover BT costs, it is a subsidised tariff agreed with
OFCOM/OFTEL for a particular purpose under the USO.

Full LLU is pretty much the cost BT requires to maintain and service a raw
line at something which isn't a loss, that other providers either go for
shared LLU or maintain DSL plus only slightly lower (though usually with
eg. with different minimum terms) rental for voice tells you the cost
involved are about what are achievable. Or they are providing a business
DSL product, at a business rate.

You are not going to get copper to the house, and the exchanges and repair
mechanisms and workforce and wayleaves required etc., for anything less
until drastic physical/practical technologies/costs change.