[Wylug-discuss] Re: Linux-friendly POTS-to-VOIP-to-POTS

gARetH baBB hick.wylug at gink.org
Fri Oct 14 11:34:44 BST 2005

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005, John Hodrien wrote:

> > LUS rates do not cover BT costs, it is a subsidised tariff agreed with
> > OFCOM/OFTEL for a particular purpose under the USO.
>
> I may have misworded the scheme.  They used to advertise a low usage
> scheme where if you spent less than x per month you could pay less line
> rental.  It may not exist now in its previous form (this was about 5 or
> 6 years ago) but it definitely wasn't what you're describing.

That is LUS.

http://www.serviceview.bt.com/list/current/docs/Cust_Opts_Res.boo/3226.htm

I suspect most "LUS" people are now on In Contact, which isn't the same
mechanism as you describe, but has the same aim.

To quote OFCOM on "LUS":

"One of the key strands of USO is the requirement on BT and Kingston to
ensure that all customers can afford to obtain and retain telephone
service.

To achieve this goal, BT and Kingston provide special tariff schemes that
target customers with low incomes. BT currently offers the Light User
Scheme (LUS) and In Contact (IC); Kingston offers Basic Call and Basic
Contact.

BT's existing schemes are not means tested and use a proxy of low use in
order to attract low income customers. This does not work perfectly:
around 60 per cent of current LUS and IC members are from low-income
households."

There are other public OFCOM papers which document how call charges in
general have subsidised rental, and the moves BT have made to rebalance
this.

"LUS" customers could be argued are being susidised twice, they pay little
and have lower line rental - but the USO aim of keeping low income people
in the loop as it were, is where this comes from.

> You reckon the LL costs 120 quid a year to maintain?  Any references for that?

120 quid is BT rental, which is not quite the same thing - that has to
include billing, accounts, customer service, bad debt provision, phone
books, marketing etc. etc. BT do have the benefit of economies of scale
though.

There have been various recent OFCOM papers of LLU and WLR, WLR has been
passed "fit for purpose", and Wanadoo are quoted as saying they are happy
with LLU now - if they're aiming for 50%+ customers on LLU, and others are
rapidly expanding LLU provision they must think that the final costs
derived are fair and reflective.