[Wylug-discuss] Good news or bad?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Sep 19 15:17:18 BST 2005

On Monday 19 Sep 2005 14:11, gARetH baBB wrote:
> On Mon, 19 Sep 2005, Chris Davies wrote:
> > Well, from the technical perspective, this might (or might not,
> > depending on your perspective) allay your fears a little:
> >
> > http://www.186k.co.uk/what_server_am_i
>
> hick at stum:~$ host www.186k.co.uk
> www.186k.co.uk has address 217.196.1.164
> hick at stum:~$ host 217.196.1.164
> 164.1.196.217.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer nexus.magix.org.uk.
>
> magix.org.uk is a personal website/domain, not even hosted on a 186k
> network.

I'm not sure that I understand what's going on here, but if you do
host 186k.co.uk
you get another address, 62.128.199.7

I don't know the significance - perhaps you could explain that to me?

Anyway, following up on that,

host 62.128.199.7
7.199.128.62.in-addr.arpa domain name pointer
62-128-199-7.internetters.co.uk.

and they apparently are based in Glasgow.

It looks as though they are infrastructure suppliers to ISPs, from the
website, so we'll have to see how that develops.  All the same, I'd like
to see how either of those entries, one registered to Shropshire and one
to Glasgow, connect to being based in Leeds.

Anne
Mandriva hints & tips: http://twiki.mdklinuxfaq.org