[Wylug-discuss] SPF records

Chris Davies chris.davies at bcs.org.uk
Tue Sep 20 09:24:20 BST 2005

Firstly, is this the right WYLUG list for this kind of question? If not, please
advise me and I'll try again it elsewhere.

I'm intrigued (and pleased) to see more and more companies using SPF records to
help authenticate/repudiate email for their domains. I already have an SPF
record for my own home domain and have seen the number of UCE bounces from
emails claiming to be from someone at roaima drop from 1000/week to virtually
nothing. I've also seen the number of UCE emails with fake AOL senders drop off
dramatically.

I'd like to be able to install and SPF record for the company I work for, but
I've got some issues that need resolving before I can proceed.

We have a number of laptop users who can connect back to our LAN/WAN using VPN.
For us, there is nothing that stops these users from sending emails from their
work email address while *disconnected* from the VPN (e.g. while connected to
their home ISP), and if I were to implement a strict SPF record then such emails
would legitimately be considered to be from a non-authentic source - and
therefore perhaps fraudulent.

We don't use Exchange (or any equivalent such as Scalix/Notify); everything is
currently just SMTP and POP. (I know this gives no protection against someone
inside the company trying to forge an email from another member of staff. That's
  fortunately outside the scope of this project.)

I was wondering whether anyone else had successfully addressed this problem with
either policy or technology, and if so, how.

I've thought about installing OpenVPN on each laptop, with a route to a solitary
DMZ network address that accepts SMTP for relay. Coupled with a split-DNS
approach this could work quite elegantly. I've thought about Auth SMTP or POP
before SMTP but the logistics of either of these make my head swim. I've thought
about simply telling staff "don't do that" and then I remembered I'm in the real
world. For example, if you're on Freeserve/Wanadoo's network then they
transparently proxy SMTP, so it looks like an email's been sent through our
internal servers but actually it's been hijacked via the ISP. So users will tell
me "but it works, so why can't I do that?"

Many thanks,
Chris
--
Chris Davies MBCS, chris.davies at bcs.org.uk, 07778 199069