[Wylug-discuss] Computers to recycle / donate

James Holden wylug at jamesholden.net
Thu Apr 20 09:49:37 BST 2006

On Thu, Apr 20, 2006 at 09:26:22AM +0100, gARetH baBB wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Apr 2006, Janet Flynn wrote:
>
> > we have a number of old computers and wonder if you could suggest any
> > way we can dispose of them safely or recycle them.
> >  Janet Flynn

[big email disclaimed snipped]

Hi Janet,

You should probably contact the local council for guidelines of proper
disposal of waste electrical equipment. They will be up to date on the
recent rules and regulations regarding such matters.

On the other hand, if you're saying "We don't want these, come and take
them away if you want", then I'm sure that there will be some takers on
the list. I bit more information might be useful though, and don't
forget to consider that the hard drives may contain sensitive
information that should be destroyed before they leave your posession.

> Yay, 2-3 lines of content, 23 lines of utter rubbish. Plus HTML.

Yes, disclaimers are mostly rubbish, and tend to be written by legal
sorts who have never actually used email or know how it works. They tend
to be stolen from fax coverpages, and bear no legal weight whatsoever.

Posting HTML messages on mailing lists is considered bad form, but:

a) Janet's mail program may not be able to not do it, or the setting to
tell it not to may be locked down by an adminstrator.

b) Most mail programs are mime-aware and can discard the HTML portion or
render it as plain test.

> I decline the terms of your post.

They were't legally valid enough to be declinable anyway.

> If you intend to put stupid disclaimers on emails, especially to mailing
> lists, be prepared to be ridiculed for it.

Gareth, Janet may not have a choice on whether the disclaimer goes out
or not. It's most likely added by the outbound mail relay at her
workplace, so go easy on her and chill out for goodness sake.

James