[Wylug-discuss] Seeking Advice: Quality Mobile Sound Recording Q: Interview Microphones

Dave Fisher wylug-discuss at davefisher.co.uk
Fri Dec 1 17:19:43 GMT 2006

On Wed, Nov 29, 2006 at 04:17:11PM +0000, Phil Driscoll wrote:
> This type of dynamic mic (RVD30, SM58 and similar) is best suited to close up
> work placed right next to a mouth or a musical instrument. As with all
> cardioid microphones, the closer they are positioned to the sound source,
> the 'bassier' they will sound - and as they are designed for close up work,
> their frequency response is tailored to compensate. Hence, in an interview
> type situation where the mic may need to be a foot or more away from the
> speaker, they will tend to sound too 'thin'. However in an environment where
> there's a lot of background noise or a PA, then a mic which works close up is
> an advantage.

Thanks Phil, and everyone else who has contributed to this thread.

Like so many great contributions to the thread, Phil's points have
raised far more questions in my head than I could post in a single
message (or possibly even in a single thread).

I think it might be wise to keep things simple by posting one question
at a time.

If people feel that this is all too far off-topic for wylug-discuss, let
me know and I'll try to take the discussion elsewhere.

Anyway, my first question is:

  If dynamic or cardioid microphones are really only useful for close-up
  interview usage (i.e. where you want to more-or-less eliminate ambient
  noise), and condensor or a back-electret microphones are better suited
  for acoustic intruments, what would you recommend for:

  a) A quieter interview situation

  b) A noisy environment in which you can't stick a microphone directly
  under someone's nose?

Dave