[Wylug-discuss] Next Meeting: Mon 13 Feb 2006 - What Is an Operating System?

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Mon Feb 6 15:14:59 GMT 2006

On Sunday 05 Feb 2006 17:56, Dave Fisher wrote:
>    Getting Started With Linux
>
> My original idea was to demo simultaneous installs of the 3 most
> popular Linux distros (plus Knoppix) on identical kit, accompanying
> the installs with a talk explaining what the installer programs are
> actually doing for you automatically and what you need to do for
> yourself in order to get up and running.
>
> Unfortnately, I haven't been able to get the kit I was hoping to
> borrow, so the only way I can imagine doing roughly the same thing is
> if members were prepared to bring in their own kit to use.  For
> example, I'm happy to provide my own laptop, swapping a spare hdd for
> the one I keep my life's work on.
>
> If anyone else could offer something similar, please let me know
> _before_ midnight on Wednesday.

Dave, my Acer laptop is dual-booting, currently with Mandriva 2006
installed.  I shall be removing Mandriva anyway shortly, so if it helps
you could use the space for one of the installs.  I'll even volunteer
to sit and do the install, of any distro you like.  After all, if I
have any problems it will at least be instructive ;-)

The only reservation I have is that we couldn't get the video out to be
happy with the projector when we tried before.  I believe that it's a
problem with not having 3D graphics (and therefore clone mode) for the
ATi graphics, so that may render my offer useless.  OTOH, I think most
installs don't rely too heavily on graphics use, so I'll leave it to
you to assess whether it helps or not.

Anne