[Wylug-discuss] KDE

david powell dave at whipy.demon.co.uk
Mon Jan 2 21:19:03 GMT 2006

i use kde , no chance of me doing a talk on it though
there are a lot of kde apps  koffice , kmail, kstars , konversation ,too many
to list
and lots of utilites and small applications

i guess the bigest advantage i find with kde is the customisation options for
most of the windowmanager functions

i just find gtk applications hard to configure correctly the font and button
size is big

i have tried gnome in the past a few times but found kde more flexible
like anything its what you are used to

konqueror  kdes file manager and web browser is good , i use it over firefox
or other netscape type ones for surfing the web
and genaraly find that if konqueror wont display a page , fire fox or netscape
have the same problems

http://www.kde.org/  is a good place to find out more about it
follow the comunity links for the applications and kde look

and if  you get stuck there are a lot of kde help and developmen channels
on irc.freenode.net for real time help over irc

if gnome is installed on the system a lot of the gnome applications will run
in kde , and i think the same may be true in reverse but not tried running
kde app's in gnome

kde 3.5 is the latest version , work is now underway to port kde to qt4
this will take time and kde 4 is still over a year away  but trolltec have
opened up some of the restrictions on there licencing of qt so the outcome
looks like a lot of kde applications are going to end up with a windows port
also , this may even extend to a full version of kde ported to windows
although the linux port is the primary goal at the moment

Dave