[Wylug-discuss] KDE

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 09:11:37 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 03 Jan 2006 02:22, david powell wrote:

> auto file previews on local files gives you a preview of the contents
> before opening so for text files you can although small see the
> contents in the normal icon view of the file , jpg and video files
> shows a preview of the image or first frame ,

Adding to this - I use icon zooming on mouseover.  It's a huge
time-saver for me.  Often I can get what I need from a short text file
just by zooming the icon and not having to open it at all.  Similarly,
if I have three or four similar photos in a directory, zooming will
allow me to pick out which one I really want in gimp, instead of
opening gimp first, then previewing each one individually.  It really
is much faster.

> amorok is one of kde's media players for music , it works well , in
> konqueror clicking on the music file will open it with one of the
> installed players , the file type for a file may have more than one
> program that will open it and there is provision to specify the one
> of your preferance , so no need to drag and drop , just click and
> play

Just don't use kaffeine - it annoyingly tries to take over everything,
in my experience.  I get rid of it as quickly as possible.  And of
course you don't have to ditch your favourite gnome apps.  On this box
I prefer to use xmms, while another box uses amarok - horses for
courses.

> > And I'm very happy with Firefox as a web browser.  What nice
> > features does Konqueror provide that I'm missing out on?
>
> konqueror is more integrated into kde than firefox or netscape can be
> it uses all the netscape plugins that both firefox and netscape use
> so its surfing abilities are the same , i find it easyer to surf with
> than the others and well no popups eather , and has  good cookie
> management section

I don't know why, but I do find that on some secure payment sites I
can't use them in firefox, but they work fine in konqueror.

As Dave says, customisation to how *you* like to work is what is good
about kde.  I'm not too much into eye-candy either, but I do like to be
able to control the way I work.

Anne