[Wylug-discuss] KDE

Gary Stainburn gary.stainburn at ringways.co.uk
Tue Jan 3 15:45:34 GMT 2006

On Monday 02 January 2006 17:55, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Monday 02 Jan 2006 17:25, Smylers wrote:
> > Also, I'd be very interested in actually seeing a demonstration of
> > these kind of things.  Is there a KDE power user on this list who'd
> > be prepared to do a show and tell at a feature Wylug meeting?
>
> KDE is so big and so powerful that I seriously doubt if anyone here can
> do justice to all of it.  Perhaps it would be possible for someone to
> produce a laptop with a recent kde installed, for a collaborative demo?
>
> For myself, the two things that I most appreciate are
>
> The ability to read a man page within konqueror - it's not only easier
> on the eyes, but can be printed in a very readable form.

Nice one, never did know of a nice way to look at man pages. It looks like it
should work for perldoc too, but it isn't on my machine.

> The immense flexibility of kprinter.  I have one printer which serves
> three fixed boxes on the lan and a couple of laptops.  I habitually
> redirect printing from browser pages and many other sources to
> kprinter, for a couple of reasons.
>
> My one printer is set up as four instances, for instant access to
> differing profiles and in kprinter I can easily swap between them, but
> the really neat thing I only discovered a few months ago.  If you get
> the kprinter dialogue box, then look at the printer Properties button,
> the right-most tab is for filters.  There you will find a drop-down
> list of filters for some really useful print jobs.  Absolutely anything
> can be printed in properly formatted booklet format, giving an A5
> booklet from A4 sheets.

Jim is right about it using psbook and psnup - it says so in the dialog box.
Still very usefull to have already available though. Thanks for another good
tip.

Pity I can't find how to make OOo use kprinter for it's output.

--
Gary Stainburn