[Wylug-discuss] KDE

Smylers Smylers at stripey.com
Wed Jan 4 18:45:16 GMT 2006

I wrote:

> david powell writes:
>
> > continue using the apps you are used to and not get the new features
> > or learn new ones that do
>
> Indeed.  But obviously it only makes sense to me to bother doing that
> if the features I'm missing out on are sufficiently juicy.  And it
> seems most sensible to look first at switching the bits that I'm
> currently less than satisfied with -- and at the moment that includes
> my window manager, desktop environment, the "bits inbetween" my main
> applications, and the apps I only use occasionally.

I've just discovered another things I'm unhappy with in XMMS.

Or rather, over 3 days later it's finally dawned on my why we got very
close to celebrating new year about 8 minutes early.

If you highlight some tracks in an XMMS playlist it will helpfully
display the total duration of those tracks -- which means that you
construct a playlist to last a particular length of time (or that given
the length of a playlist, you can start it at a particular time to get
it to finish at a particular time).

Except that it doesn't allow for cross-fading in its total, so the
elapsed time to play the tracks is less than the total of their
individual durations, so the tracks run out early!

If Amorak gets this right then that would be a reason for me to switch
at some point in the next 51 weeks ...

Smylers
--
May God bless us with enough foolishness to believe that we can make a
difference in this world, so that we can do what others claim cannot be done.