[Wylug-discuss] User download limits.

John Hodrien johnh at comp.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jan 5 09:36:16 GMT 2006

On Wed, 4 Jan 2006, Douglas G Mckendrick wrote:

> I have 2 users on my system (ubuntu breezy) connected to broadband via
> eth connected router.
>
> What I would like to do is limit the amount a user can download (limited
> broadband-so don't want too many movies/music downloading etc).
>
> Does anyone know of a simple way....or a way I can do this?
>
> Cheers
> Doug
>
> P.S. Wish you all a happy new year.

Assuming they're on a single box:

You can do iptables per user rules, and set a burst limit of 1G/month for each
user, and then another rule to allow them 1k/sec access afterwards.  I think.

jh

--
"I have never smuggled anything in my life. Why, then, do I feel an uneasy
  sense of guilt on approaching a customs barrier?"   -- Steinbeck