[Wylug-discuss] No ifconfig? - Ignore

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Fri Jan 6 16:40:21 GMT 2006

On Friday 06 Jan 2006 15:52, Geoff Richards wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 06, 2006 at 01:12:39PM +0000, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > Panic over - sheer stupidity.  I was in the user console, not root
> > console.
>
> You can run 'ifconfig' without being root, if you just want to see
> what interfaces are up or available.  It won't be in your PATH by
> default though, so do /sbin/ifconfig.

Thanks, Geoff.  When I panic my brain siezes.  I simply never thought of
that.

The problem is that I don't know, at this moment, how much is genuine
difference between Mandriva and Debian and just has to be learned, and
how much is my unfamiliarity or silly mistake.  Sometimes I go about
things in a very roundabout way.  In this instance, I thought I would
try to find which package provides it, when I suddenly found that
net-utils(?) was installed, and it should be there.  At that point I
knew exactly what I had done.  There are other subtle helps, too.  I'm
used to the console and root console being obviously different colours.
I've changed the schema so that they are now.  That's a mistake I
shouldn't make again.

Anne