[Wylug-discuss] Re: [Wylug-help] Lost network printing

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Jan 10 19:03:02 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 10 Jan 2006 09:24, John Hodrien wrote:

> >> Odd.  If you've got the servername defined in client.conf, then
> >> there's nothing else to configure on a client machine.
> >>
> >> What does lpstat -v return?
> >
> > It lists all four instances of the printer.
>
> So it's definitely talking to your cups server.  What does lpq give,

Printer_on_Anne-Linux is ready
no entries

'Printer' is correct.  The server name, though should be anne-linux, not
Anne-Linux.  Is that significant, or just the way it is reported?  It's
definitely lower case in cups/client.conf.

> and how about just printing something from the commandline with lpr?

That works - and the duplex happens, so it's configuring correctly for
the printer.

Attempting the same print from kwrite only gives me 'lp' as an option.
If I select that I see

/usr/bin/lpr -P 'lp' '=#1'
/tmp/kde-anne/kdeprint_W6YWpOZz : execution failed with message:
lpr: error - unable to print file: client error not found

Anne