[Wylug-discuss] Re: [Wylug-help] Lost network printing

Anne Wilson cannewilson at tiscali.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 13:51:02 GMT 2006

On Wednesday 11 Jan 2006 10:00, John Hodrien wrote:

> I'm going to checkout here, as I really don't know KDE well enough.
> Is your /etc/printcap wrong perhaps?  Only this is trying to print to
> a printer called 'lp' which I assume doesn't exist.

Hmm - That's where the problem lies.  Printcap was pointing to a
non-existant dot-matrix printer.  I checked the contents
of /etc/printcap on this box, which uses the same printer as the laptop
needs, and there is nothing in there except the comments.  I commented
out the lines for the dot-matrix printer and tried to fill in the lines
for a remote printer, but I'm not sure what some of the lines need.

# lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
#        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
#        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
#        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\