[Wylug-discuss] follow-ups to conversations last night

david powell dave at whipy.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 12 01:38:12 GMT 2006

On Tuesday 10 January 2006 8:39 pm, david powell wrote:
> On Tuesday 10 January 2006 4:39 pm, Nigel Metheringham wrote:

> > > I have a very cheap Cable & Wireless branded 54Mb card bought for
> > > £19.99 from Comet. It's also RT2500 based and it's pretty good. The
> > > RT2500 driver is GPL released by the manufacturer and works very well.
> >
> > The problem with wireless cards (and wireless kit fitted to laptops
> > etc), is that some manufacturers appear to change their supplier (and
> > chipset) on a frequent basis without making any changes to the model
> > number, packaging etc.  I'm hoping that the Belkin's are stable.
> >
> > BTW the RT2500 appears to be supported out of the box in Debian
> > derivatives and require modules building for RH derivatives.  Hopefully
> > it will go into mainline kernel soon which will make life easier all
> > round.
> >
> > The Belkin cards are also going (Dixons) at sub £20 prices (4p cheaper
> > than your C&W one I think :-) ).
>
> wow 4p , got to be worth the extra petrol to get there for that thats got
> to be a saving of well lets see from here  hmm  -£14.96
> assuming that i can still get there for £15 since the petrol price
> increases in the last 6 months

was not meant to sound harsh on this but reading it again it comes across that
way

its just one of those things that some fail to remeber
4p's worth of petrol in a car doing 30mpg  will get you 0.4miles
given city driving this is going to be a lot less , so if its closer then you
will save but 0.4mile  given you have to get there and back would only allow
for a 0.2mile diferance in getting there , it seems to be something that is
overlooked more than what it should be
guess where i am i tend to notice it more , the nearest pc world is about 30
miles away , so the £5 in fuel is a noticable amount to get there
in some cases i find that i could get the next model up online with postage
for the same price as pcworld plus the cost of getting there and back

supermarkets have the same problem is it worth the extra £ cost to get to one
10 miles away over the amount you save from the one 200 yards away