[Wylug-discuss] a webdesign query / mini rant

chris info at coreline.net
Thu Jan 12 23:04:46 GMT 2006

Just a few quick questions from a very tired soul:

How does one go about assigning the tiny icon that sits just to the left
of the URL in a Firefox window? All the cool kids are doing it.

Dose MSIE have any support for style positioning by % value? - or am i
going to have to pray none of my visitors resize their windows?

And now for a short rant:

I wrote my site in Firefox and Safiri, and i have only just got round to
testing it on MSIE. I was horrified to discover that MSIE STILL doesn't
support .png images, therefore, no transparency, and that was just the
tip of the iceberg. No % positioning, and apparentally no <span> tag. So
as a result my site looks like its been programmed by a four year old,
and i have had to strip nearly everything out of it. I have seriously
put a thought to blocking all IE6 traffic with a cheery message reeding
'This site can only be viewed by a W3C standards compliant browser' but
i have a dirty feeling id get sued for libel.
In closing, can anyone remember a firfox campaign which gave users code
to implement a splash screen on there website which deterred/prevented
MSIE users from entering the site.?